Family and community resources for supporting public schools to engage in equity, inclusion, and anti-bias initiatives.
What equity framework might you/your group choose to operate from? – link to Equity Frameworks (Hammond, 2017)
Consider using comprehensive resource sets from organizations like:
The Equity Project – Resources Link
Engaging families and community members in a school walk through with a focus on culturally, responsive teaching, school climate, and/or inclusion can be an eye-opening experience to launch an equity initiative in a school and then return to monitor progress toward school-wide goals. A few examples of these walk through tools are linked below.
- Culturally Responsive Teaching School Walkthrough Guide Link
- Index for Inclusion – Full Guide Link | Parent Survey Link
- American School Climate Inventory – iPhone App | Android App | Paper Version
Teaching Tolerance has been a foundational organization for school communities to engage in deep equity and anti-bias education. See a few highlights of their free online resources below.
- Posters & Visual Resources
- Film Kits
- Searchable Database of Readings for Children/Students (requires to create a free account to access)
One final idea – make it real with stories and short articles. One examples linked below.